Friday, February 28, 2014

Encouragement from Women of Faith

"But I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion; says my soul, therefore I will hope in him. The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him." Lamentations 3:21-25

I had the privilege of attending Women of Faith last weekend with my sister-in-law to listen to some of our sisters in Christ teach and inspire us out of the depths of pain and joy in their  lives. We had a wonderful time of learning and worshiping... in addition throw in a few grace-filled, laughable moments at the hotel (now they're laughable...at 11pm they were not)!  Furthermore, the spectacle of well over a thousand Starbuck's caffeinated, sleep deprived women meeting their dismay to encounter broken, flooding potties at Lakewood Church (we need a miracle, Jesus!) and you've got yourself a women's conference!

Despite the drama, I knew there was a message forthcoming that would speak directly to my heart. I hadn't attended a women's conference in several years, so I went expecting to hear from the Lord. I knew there was something God wanted to say to me because I could hardly sleep the night before. I know this may sound crazy, but I had a inner knowing that there was a message that Satan didn't want me to hear.

As I settled in to listen to the last speaker of the day, Christine Cain, her first words sent a shock right through  me, "You've put an expiration date on something God has never said is expired. There is something God has said to you that for some reason you've given up hope." I sat bolt upright in my seat. Christine had my thorough attention and my hand couldn't scribble the notes fast enough. I'm sharing my notes with you today because I know I'm not the only one. I'm not the only person who has given up hope on the dream God has placed in their heart and needs to be encouraged and inspired. I'm not the only one who needs their faith to be revived. I'm not the only one who needs to return to standing on God's promises instead of standing on discouragement, doubt, and fear. The truth of the matter is, friend, that when life gets hard, we begin to believe lies.

Christine read from Genesis 18:9-14, 'They said to him, 'Where is Sarah your wife?' And he said, 'She is in the tent.' The LORD said, 'I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife shall have a son.' And Sarah was listening at the tent door behind him. Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah. So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, 'After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?' The LORD said to Abraham, 'Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?' 'Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son.' But Sarah denied it, saying, 'I did not laugh,' for she was afraid. He said, 'No, but you did laugh.'"

Our posture internally is one that laughs with doubt and unbelief. We, like Sarah, eavesdrop, not really leaning into our faith because we don't really believe God is able. We never declare the truth of God's Word because we are too busy looking at the facts (our limitations and the situation) which cripples us with doubt and fear. His promises must be bigger than our doubts! Remember, God gave the promise to Abraham and Sarah when in all reality it was impossible for Sarah to conceive. The promise came when there was no chance of it happening and then came the silent years of waiting. I ask you, what is your posture when you're waiting on God? Is it joyful and faith filled or have you become a grasshopper against the giants in your mind (Numbers 13)? God isn't glorified by what I can do. God is glorified in the impossible! What impossible situation do you face today? I promise you, God is in it! Nothing, absolutely nothing is to hard for the Lord (Gen 18:14). A powerful truth that we need to cling to in the dark, doubting places is this: It's not that I am able, but that God is faithful! God prepares the womb of our faith during the wait. We are cynical and doubtful, but when was the last time you judged God faithful in your circumstances?

If you want to see Jesus in your life, look at the hard places where God has you. We try desperately to pray our way out of difficult situations, but God always has a message in the hard places. Don't try to ignore or run from them! All of our deficiencies were taken care of at the cross. The death of Jesus on the cross should NEVER hit us casually. I don't have to be enough because God is everything that I am not on my behalf. The cross wasn't just about eternity, it's about experiencing heaven daily. When life hands you hardships that leave you shaking your head thinking, "I don't get it," obey anyway. Trust God's heart when you can't see his hand.

When was the last time you believed that nothing is impossible with God? That dream you're holding, which you think has expired-that time has run out...ask God for the faith to believe again. Stop having the discouraging conversation in your mind over something God has already said and simply BELIEVE. Doubt, fear, and unbelief will always keep you out of your promised land. Again, trust God's heart when you can't see his hand.

2 reasons we don't see God's promises fulfilled in our lives:

1. We confuse our due date with God's appointed time. "For everything there is a season, and a time for every mater under heaven" (Ecc 3:1). God needs to work in us during the waiting period in order to prepare us for the promised land. Your dream will be fulfilled at God's appointed time-don't put your due date on it.

2. It doesn't look the way you want or though it would look. Do we trust that God is good and does good? "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him" (Heb 11:6). Do you trust God in the gap among the promise given and the waiting season?

We may not see it the way God sees it, but don't give up! Believe that God is faithful. Believe that he is at work in your life during the silence. He is preparing you for your promised land that you may bear much fruit! "Truly, truly I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit" (John 12:24).
Remember, you're not able, but God is faithful!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Thanks for sharing you notes with everybody!

    ReplyDelete