Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Don't Take the Bait!

                                                 
                                             Image result for a fish taking bait image

Fishing is not necessarily a sport I enjoy. I find it quite boring, and baiting a hook is less than desirous to me. Thrusting a hook through a wiggling worm simply isn't my cup of tea. But, just as every good fisherman baits his hook hoping to lure in a big catch, Christians are being baited by the enemy as he attempts to lure us away from bearing fruit for Christ. 

It was a normal weekday morning, so our home was bustling with teenage girls getting ready for school, and I was playing short-order cook for their breakfast wishes. Honestly, I cannot recall the exact situation or comment, but someone made a remark that enticed me to respond with an irritated voice and a hint of sarcasm. Before I had time to comment (thankfully), the words, "Don't take the bait," rose up in my spirit. I paused and thought carefully about those 4 words. Every time I'm tempted, whether it be to respond negatively with a critical spirit, erupt with irritation, or react in any manner that is not reflective of my position in Christ, I've been baited and lured in by the enemy.

Bass fishers know one of the secrets to catching bass is to vary the bait depending on the time of year. In the spring, peach- colored patterns are optimal since bass enjoy crawfish, but the summer and fall chrome or silver baits are best since bass like shad (whatever that is-remember I'm not into fishing). You may wonder why I'm telling you about bass bait, but just like a professional angler knows which bait to use during which season to reel in the ideal catch, Satan too knows how to vary his bait to catch us off guard and reel us in. 1 Peter 5:8 (NIV) says, "Be alert and of a sober mind, your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." Our enemy is seeking those he can subtly lure away from their pure devotion to Christ. He desires for us to put our trust in people and things, forgetting our true identity is found in Christ alone. If he can't have our soul, he desires to render us fruitless for the Kingdom. His tactics may be different depending on the season of life you are in. Think about your season right now and where the enemy has baited you in the last week. Strife with a spouse? Anger with a child? Participating in gossip? Foul or abusive language? Impatience? Idolatry? Overspending? Irritability? Pride? Rebellion?

They say it is best to fish right before a storm because the pressure makes the bass more active. As Christians, it is often said we are in 1 of 3 places spiritually:

1. Headed into a storm
2. In the middle of a storm
3. Coming out of a storm

Like the bass, pressure may cause us to be more reactive. The pressure from our storms can often cause us to feel impulsive, defeated, discouraged, weary, and lacking strength. The enemy banks on these feelings to drive us to giving up; however, Christ says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor 12:9). When I'm at my weakest and feeling defeated, I definitely don't feel like I'm strong at all! The problem is that we cannot rely on our ever-changing, fickle feelings. Our faith is rooted, built, and strengthened on God's unchanging, infallible Word.

Today, when you are tempted to give up or give in, look up (to Jesus) before you give up. And remember-don't take the bait!





No comments:

Post a Comment