Monday, November 12, 2018

I Get To...A Transforming Thought





A couple of weeks ago I read a FB post which relayed the amazing survival story of a local teenage boy who had been in a horrific car accident. By the grace of God, he walked away from the wreck with a few stitches and an amazing testimony! I was reminded of the power of praying parents as well as God’s abounding faithfulness. Not only was this a story of rescue, but there was a liberating spiritual lesson looped into this redemption narrative.

In the mother’s post retelling the events of the accident, she stated that she had recently been reminded of the life-altering notion that we are privileged to “get to” live this life and all that it encompasses, not that we “have to.” The mother went on to share how abundantly thankful she was that she “got to” make her son lunch the day following his accident because she knew the outcome could have been gravely different.

Since reading her post, I’ve applied her lesson and allowed it to alter my thinking over the last couple of weeks. This idea of “get to” rather than “have to” is such a beautiful depiction of transforming our thoughts according to Romans 12:2 (ESV) which instructs, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” We must change the way we think before we are able to change the way we behave. Living with a “have to” mentality is negative and depletes our joy in living; however, a “get to” way of life fills us with anticipation and infuses us with joy, especially in the daily tasks we may think are mundane and meaningless. Instead of I “have to” do laundry, think “I get to” do laundry because God has blessed me with a family! Rather than “I have to” make dinner again (that my kids won’t like!), choose instead to think “I get to make dinner because my family will be around the table together.” In place of “I have to go to work/school,” believe that “I get to go to work/school” because God has blessed me with a job and the ability to work or gain an education. These are simple daily adjustments we can make to transform our thoughts which will revolutionize the way we live. Who doesn’t want to live a life filled with gratitude and joy? This is one way we can overcome a negative mindset and begin to really see the graciousness of God in every aspect of our lives.

In a spirit of authenticity, there is one particular area that God convicted me that I need to change with regards to “I get to” and that is the area of prayer. Often I say, “I just have to pray about it,” but truth be told, prayer is a privilege-an invitation to converse with the Spirit of the living God. Prayer is a means of God’s grace to his children, not a life-line of last resort. When God saved us through faith by His grace (Eph 2:8), he bestowed upon us not only the gift of salvation, but the gracious gift of conversation with Him! The writer of Hebrews encourages, “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Friends, we don’t “have to” pray, we “get to pray!” I’ve been reflecting on Ps 138:3 (NASB) which says, “On the day I called, You answered me; You made me bold with strength in my soul.” I love this verse because it’s a great reminder that when we call upon our Lord in prayer, He answers and strengthens our soul. I know we all could use a little soul strength today, so let’s rejoice that we “get to” go to our Heavenly Father in prayer-it’s a privilege!

To the mother who shared her son’s amazing story-I’m sorry you faced such tragedy, but I rejoice with you in God’s protective covering over your son’s life. Often social media gets a bad rap; however, the impact of your FB post has enriched my life and helped transform my thinking, and for that, this mama is thankful.

I dare you to take the “I get to” challenge and transform your thought life! Since we’re entering the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it is tempting to become stressed with thoughts of “I have to” instead of the grateful notion of “I get to.” Yes, you “get to” go to that Christmas party (with people you may not enjoy)! Rejoice! You “get to” purchase gifts for family and friends which evokes a spirit of generosity that will inspire others! Be grateful “you get to” cook a big dinner with family gathered ‘round your table. Wow! I “get to” exercise after that large Thanksgiving meal! (I know, I know, I lost you with exercise, right?) Capture the thoughts you need to alter in your life and experience the infusion of joy and gratitude because you “get to!”

No comments:

Post a Comment