Friday, January 2, 2015

Choosing to Lose

                            



       In 2015, I choose to lose. That’s right, I want to lose. Everyone loves to win and we love winners, but this year I have decided to live in contrast to the world. Loving this life too much and desiring to always be counted among the winners will affect what I’m willing to do for Christ. Because winning anything significant always involves losing something else. My existence isn’t about making a life, but changing a life. When Jesus sent out the 72 as harvest laborers, they returned to Him with joy (Luke 10:17). It is in the pouring out of ourselves for others that our joy is made complete. It is taking what has been invested in us, and dispensing it for the sake of another made and paid for soul.  Selfishness is a dormant illness that can come to life anytime my focus shifts inward rather than outward; therefore I must choose to lose so that others may win. Isn’t that what Jesus did for me? Didn’t he choose to lose his life so that mine would be saved?

So here are a few things I am choosing to lose this year:

I choose to lose arguments for the sake of peace. The need to always be right is a dreadful disease; and peacemakers, according to Jesus, will be blessed (Matt 5:9).

I choose to lose pride and cling to humility. It is in humility I find grace, and lose the propensity toward sin (Js 4:6).

I choose to lose anger and bitterness because neither produce righteousness in me or in others around me (Js 1:20). Anger may be infectious, but so is grace!

I choose to lose the absurd notion that I cannot be joyful in tribulation and that I must spurn the “bad” days of my life. Life is a moment by moment reception of God’s sovereignty. To accept only good from the Lord’s hand is to emotionally reject God’s providence thus promoting my intentions and desires above God’s.

I choose to lose the idea that busy is better. I will embrace “ordinariness” and simplicity because mundane is a gift.

I choose to lose living to audaciously consume. Instead I will live to be shamelessly consumed by His purpose.

I choose to lose fear and grasp faith because fear and faith cannot co-exist. Faith embraces the courageous willingness to believe God and stand alone under pressure (Dan 1:8-16).

I choose to lose the concept of self-preservation. My life was preserved for me at the cross; therefore since Christ was raised from the dead, I am able to live a “risk it all” kind of life.

I choose to lose bowing down to my feelings and will bow only to God’s Word.

I choose to lose indifference. When I refuse to see pain and suffering in this world, I lose the opportunity to feel and grow in compassion thus attributing to a hardness of heart. Compassionate hearts are birthed through personal experience, and the bravery to involve ourselves in the pain and suffering of others.

Ultimately, the summation of choosing to lose is choosing to extend grace. Because every ungracious moment links me to the amnesia of the soul who forgets the grace that has been extended to me. The reality of the gospel is Jesus chose to lose so we could win. I am a woman who needs more of Jesus in 2015 than of herself. I choose to lose.

                                                  

2 comments:

  1. Last year I chose that same word! (And picture!) And I had grace...so thankful for it. My biggest struggle was remembering to extend grace. Happy new year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, like you, my biggest struggle is remembering to extend grace as well. I miss you, friend! Best wishes for a joyful new year!

      Delete