Tuesday, July 25, 2017

In My Mother's Eyes



On March 27, 2017 my mother passed away unexpectedly. In keeping with her life of giving, upon her death her corneas were donated. I’ve often wondered about the older woman who now continues to see through my mother’s eyes. I’ve written a poem that might portray what my mother’s eyes are rejoicing to see in heaven, yet continue to see on the earth.

                                            In My Mother’s Eyes

In my mother’s eyes the essence of beauty is reflected,
while on earth she’s still connected.

My mother’s eyes gaze upon streets of gold,
 and apostles and prophets of old.

Do my mother’s eyes still see purple mountains majesty?
Do they often moisten at life’s tragedy’s?

My mother’s eyes have seen angels, and know them to be true;
all the while gazing through the window at birds that flew.

My mother’s eyes have seen God’s glory,
while helping another woman see the rest of her life’s story.

My mother’s eyes transfix on costly stones,
yet gaze in wonder at instrument’s glorious tones.

My mother’s eyes have seen again loved ones she once knew,
and yet another enjoys the beauty of grandbaby number two!

My mother dreamt of cobalt blues,
and today she gazes upon heavenly hues.
My mother’s eyes behold heavenly things,
whilst another mother enjoys God’s created beings.

On a crisp September day, my mother’s blue eyes lit up the room
as she gazed adoringly at her handsome groom.

And one day when your life on earth is through,
my mother’s eyes will twinkle as she
gazes lovingly at you.

When the aged eyes close for the final time,
and a heavenly chorus chimes,
my mother’s eyes will see the reflection of the face that

continued seeing through the gift of God’s grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment